RHYMES WITH TRUCK

Sunday, November 4, 2018

The Adventure Begins................

Day 1 to Day 3.
____ Day 1: Heading South for the Winter in a re-configured fire-rescue truck maybe not everybody's idea of retirement but that is what I have chosen. October was full of bureaucratic bullshit as I battled to get my five pension-plans to pay me what I had planned for. It was like getting blood out of a stone with endless paperwork. The end result will not amount to enough for a pot to piss-in but I'm sure I can have one winter in the Sun and reconsider my future afterwards. Meanwhile the Mack went into Integrity Ventures for new leaf springs on the back and a new fuel tank.

So it was November the First when Cheryl and I finally left home on a frosty morning. Final banking, insurance and  wheel-nut re-torques meant it was late into the afternoon when we crossed into North Dakota. Fuel at the Grand Forks Flying'J and into the Petro at Fargo for the night; slipping into a bob-tail spot as the rain settled in for the night.

____ Day 2: Rain for most of the day as we took Interstate 29 to Watertown, South Dakota, and our first visit to Walmart for supplies and drinking water. Then US Highway 81 to Norfolk, Nebraska, but not before soaking myself with diesel when the pump blew-back at Casey's in Freeman. Just what I did not want; the living-quarters reeking of fuel-oil after just Day 2.

____ Day 3: Love's at Norfolk didn't have a laundry so the clothes didn't get washed until the Petro at York. From there, the weather brightened-up and we reached McPherson just before dusk. Much warmer already but not hot enough for shorts.

It's not everyday that you get to park next to a legend.
 

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Chris. Enjoy! You've earned it! Doing much the same myself, life in orkney is now summer only, spain for 6 months in the winter in our faithfull old fiat ducato. Pension doesnt amount to much but money isnt everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I'll miss your trucking adventures blog, but I wish you the best in retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, we wondered what was the next chapter as OTR reports seemed slow at coming... good luck, and I hope the ole girl gets you there and back. Enjoy driving through what you had to push through no matter what. Please keep us informed of your adventures..

    ReplyDelete