RHYMES WITH TRUCK

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

 Day 5: Wapta Falls Rec Site, spectacular view across the valley, 5 miles south of the Trans-Canada Highway, east of Golden. Heading back into Alberta for trip along the Icefield Parkway.

Fifteen years of truck driving in North America and I have ticked-off 49 states and nine provinces but the Icefield Parkway has always been forbidden to an 18 wheel-semi. At last a chance to run the most scenic road in the World.
It is beautiful, I am not disappointed. The heart of the mountains in warm sunshine. The jewel in the crown is the Columbia Icefield. I ride to the foot of the glacier; the huge busses on the ice far above look small but the cost of the trip is large. The place reeks of tourist trap but looking past the commercial aspect; it is an awesome site.
I camp at Icefield Tent, a National Park campground. $25 +$10 Park entry. But free free firewood and a warming hut with wood-burning stove. A pleasant evening in the hut chatting to other campers, I get my monies worth by stoking the wood-burner to capacity. Glad I brought my axe with me. BE798D58-014B-44DC-A0DE-9ADBE0B676C2.jpeg

No comments:

Post a Comment