RHYMES WITH TRUCK

Monday, January 8, 2024

Recovering from Dementia.

 Any body with any knowledge of dementia knows the disease is not recoverable, so what did I have that was so confusing. Short answer: A bad bow to the head coupled to my old age and dementia-like symptom of amnesia, the result of a motorcycle crash and 9 weeks in hospital.

It all started, so I have been told, on the 11th of July 2023 when I ended up in a Saskatchewan ditch, lying next to a written-off KTM 790. An old gentleman eventually found me and phoned the ambulance, how long I laid there, beside a deserted road, I do not know. The hospital at Medicine Hat flew me to Calgary because of the state of the injuries. My closeness to the province border was the reason for my journey to Alberta.

The Emergency Room at Calgary did a good job of cutting-off all my riding gear before the x-rays and CAT scans showed the two bleeds in the brain and the two broken wrists. A bed was found and although I remember nothing of this, my amnesia was identified and the broken wrists were plastered. I have lost a pair of Kevlar lined motorcycle trousers and a jacket complete with armoured elbows, shoulders and back protector which must have saved me from more serious injury. Infact all my clothing and equipment disappeared  and I was left wearing just a hospital bed-gown that secured only at the back.

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment