RHYMES WITH TRUCK

Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Alzheimers.

 Alzheimer's is the most common form of dementia and the kind that most people thought I had. The symptoms are the same but there is no recovery just a slow decline over the years. Lack of memory, slurred speech, poor physicality and bad mental decision making are the main dementia signs. My bang on the head brought all these on but my brain started to heal itself by a system known as rewiring, where new connections are made to replace broken bits that were damaged by the blow to the head.

My memory was gone for about five weeks and has still not returned from the accident. I came round eventually, to find myself tied in bed at Calgary Hospital. I could not walk or talk and had lost about 50 pounds in body weight. I had no clothes or money and no one spoke to me. Cheryl  made the trip from Winnipeg to Calgary and proved what a savior she had been and luckily not the passenger on the motorcycle.

Cheryl had set in motion a claim for the motorcycle, found all missing paperwork and organized my trip back to Winnipeg by medical airplane transfer. My partner had made a Calgary trip in July but I knew nothing about it and had slept most of the time I hadn't been acting weird. The hospital bed was  uncomfortable, the food was terrible and being in a dementia ward was disheartening. Winnipeg looked like a good option but after couple of weeks looking for a bed in Manitoba it looked unlikely. But Calgary had booked the plane and was going to send me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment