RHYMES WITH TRUCK

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Sexual Assault

 I made the trip back to Winnipeg and a bed was not ready for me. It was the emergency ward that took me in and it was as if the accident had happened yesterday. Two days later, the dementia ward on the fifth floor gave me a bed in a room with one other dementia ridden patient. The bed was as uncomfortable and the food as terrible as Calgary. The only plus point was that I had daily visits from Cheryl.

It was on the third night that I became aware of two people in my room. They were both dressed in the beige hospital uniform, worn by the people who did food distribution and the cleaning of both patients and wards. One soon left, but the other sat on the floor in a hiding position between the windows. After a while , my visitor crept over to the bed and his both hands dived under the covers at my waist-line. I  reacted with a swipe of my left arm and a mouth full of expletives. This had my attacker withdraw from the room only to return moments later, re-arrange the covers at the foot of the bed and utter some excuse about making a check. I told him again to "Fuck Off" which he did..

Sleep became my big problem after the attack, laying awake became a way of life. I stashed a bottle of pop in the bed as a alternative to wrist damage. My two visitors spoke a foreign but I could not identify either although the bedside visitor had a short and stocky stature. Both never seemed to have been on my ward before but obviously thought dementia sufferers with their memory problems were an easy number for queer boy attacks. I wonder how many have taken place without re-percussions when 1 in 3 of hospital ward male employees are known to be gay.

My next objective was to leave hospital in Winnipeg and return home to recover. Nine weeks would have been 13 if rehabilitation had taken place in hospital  but Cheryl organized a release. There have been blood tests and clinic visits along with physiotherapy sessions. No pain, no claim, and body recovery has taken place. The wrists are getting stronger, the walking is getting quicker and the brain is getting sharper. The only negative thing is that the Province Of Manitoba has cancelled my driving licence for two years because of the serious blow to the head.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris. We were wondering what you've been up to... Thanks for the update wishing you a decent & speedy recovery. Keep your chin up, reckon you'll get that license back yet 👍 Always enjoyed your writing style, especially your trucking adventures. All the best, mate. Cheers from Australia

    ReplyDelete